MoonDawg's Den: A Suggestion for Fox News--Hannity and Corn!

MoonDawg's Den

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Suggestion for Fox News--Hannity and Corn!










Garry's post today about Hannity and Colmes made me remember an idea I had some time ago. I meant to blog about it then, but I didn't.

The idea stems from the absolutely ludicrous pairing of Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes to do a political talking heads show. Hannity is conservative to the bone, loud, fiery, arrogant, and never wrong (just ask him!). Colmes, on the other hand, is moderate, soft spoken, not contentious, and beholden--most of the time--to Hannity's ideas.

Al Franken discusses this pair at length in his book Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, which must be experienced in audiobook, btw, and claims (I haven't gone through the trouble of checking this) that Hannity got to pick his partner for the show. If that's the case, I can see why Colmes is on the show. His quiet demeanor makes him easier to bully. However, if Franken's claim is false, FOX made a bad choice.

Why have a political debate show that is so obviously one-sided? Why have one member of the team, the liberal, be such a wimp? If FOX really wants to have a balanced show where true debate can take place, I suggest they replace Colmes with FOX analyst David Corn, a true liberal and a cocky fireball in his own right. Now that would be a debate show that I'd tune in to watch. Perhaps FOX is too worried that they would have a fist fight on the air if they left these two alone together for too long, or (and far more probable) Hannity is worried that with a loud, take-no-prisoners liberal at his side, he might not be able to push his uber-conservative agenda at will and, of course, that Corn might make him cry (*grin*).

I say we get this idea rolling around the blogs and see what happens. Maybe FOX will listen...maybe.

4 Comments:

  • Corn would be a good choice from a strictly entertainment point of view (entertainment value being the main reason I watch H&C), but he still has a crate full of egg on his face in journalism circles for his part in the whole Plame/Wilson affair - Corn didn't just drink the Plame Kool Aid, he mixed up the first batches himself (see this Christopher Hitchens article that annihilates Corn's ex post facto attempt to soft-pedal his involvement in the whole ridiculous fiasco).

    By Blogger Garry, At 1:44 PM, November 16, 2006  

  • Hannity isn't exactly the bastion of journalistic integrity either.

    A show like H&C is, like you said, for entertainment. Pundits aren't really journalists although they sure like to say they are. They are ideologues, far more concerned with winning a debate than actually finding truth. I'm not much of a David Corn fan. I occasionally read his blog, but beyond that, I rank him in the people-who-aren't-
    going-to-give-me-ALL-the-facts group. My suggestion of Corn to replace Colmes is mostly because Colmes is to soft spoken to match Hannity's bravado.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:50 PM, November 16, 2006  

  • It should be "too soft spoken." Sheesh!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:51 PM, November 16, 2006  

  • Lol, points aren't taking off for spelling in the Den. Actually I was thinking back and remembered seeing an episode of H&C where Corn substituted for Colmes - as I recall Corn was a bit stiff, although I imagine if the 'C' in 'H&C' officially belonged to Corn he'd do a better job trying to match Hannity's bombast.

    Another person I'd like to see in Colmes' place is the Wonkette, Anna Marie Cox...she's not only a liberal but is funny as hell.

    By Blogger Garry, At 9:58 AM, November 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home