MoonDawg's Den: Wake-up Call

MoonDawg's Den

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wake-up Call

Well, my prediction for Election Day wasn't too far off (although there are still some undecided races in the House & Senate at this moment). Lots of people will be doing post-mortems today on the Republican loss, but Glenn Reynolds did a pre-mortem last month that I think covers all the Repubs' problems pretty well.

Bottom line is that, although the Democrats really didn't deserve to win, the Republicans very much deserved to lose. I'm in agreement with Roger L. Simon, who said today that "I'm not especially looking forward to Speaker Pelosi. But then I wasn't especially impressed by Speaker Hastert either (putting it mildly)." Let this serve as a wake-up call to Republican Party: giving people the choice between a big-spending, big-government party and a big-spending, big-government party is not a choice at all.

3 Comments:

  • You're neglecting to mention the two republican Achilles heels: Iraq and corruption.

    I'm very happy today. Are you surprised?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:53 AM, November 09, 2006  

  • Me too, me too. :)

    Now, as long as we dems can keep our heads....


    I think that those achilles heels are about to become ours, jeff. I hope they don't. We'll see, I guess.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:46 AM, November 12, 2006  

  • Well I don't think Iraq was the primary issue; else Lamont would have beaten Lieberman in very liberal Connecticut...and corruption was really only an issue in the Ohio races. The Repub base is certainly disaffected, mainly by wild spending in the House - and for many (including me) any discontent over the Iraq war comes from it not being persecuted strongly enough.

    Nosurf, I heard on the news this morning that Pelosi is backing Jack "Okinawa" Murtha for House Majority Leader. That's not just an Achilles heel, that's a whole fricking leg!

    By Blogger Garry, At 10:10 AM, November 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home