MoonDawg's Den: Of Occam, Oswald, Nessie, and Rosie

MoonDawg's Den

Monday, April 16, 2007

Of Occam, Oswald, Nessie, and Rosie

Whenever an imbecile like Rosie O'Donnell spews forth lunatic rantings about a 9/11 conspiracy, most sane folks (like myself) tend to simply laugh it off. But in a tour de force post on conspiracy theories, Bill Whittle takes Occam's Razor in hand and tackles everything from the JFK assasination to the Moon landing to the Loch Ness monster, and explains how real damage is inflicted on our society by those who perpetrate these "diseased philosophies":
My goal here is not to bust any of these four conspiracy theories; that has all been done much more effectively elsewhere. What I am trying to do here is to build a chain of evidence to show a progressively deteriorating epidemic of world-wide insanity, of truly diseased thinking -- not just a misunderstanding or difference of opinion but real, diagnosable mental illness.

Whittle argues that it's way past time to start pushing back hard against Rosie and her ilk for their dispensing of "cultural suicide pills". Read the whole thing.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • yeah-- the rational piece of my mind wants to agree with everything you've said. But then I remember that we're all human, even politicians, and that we shouldn't take anything for granted. We should give every theory a listen. If we're not secure enough in our own beliefs to withstand a contrary one, maybe we ought to be examining them more closely.

    But yes, false information can make things more difficult. I'm just glad that I live in a country that allows free speech. That way I can criticize whatever politician or war I like without worrying about mine or my family's safety. And I can still be friends with people who disagree with me.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 11:53 PM, April 18, 2007  

  • "We should give every theory a listen"? Even theories that have zero factual evidence to support them, and that are self-evidently crazy? I see no reason to suffer such fools gladly - and the ones who command large media audiences bear an extra burden to be responsible in their utterances. Don Imus can tell you all about that...

    By Blogger Garry, At 12:46 PM, April 23, 2007  

  • well,


    Consider people such as galileo (trite example, I know). People back then thought that his evidence was laughable, and even treasonous.

    And yet, well. You know the rest ;)

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:51 AM, May 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home