MoonDawg's Den: VD at the VA

MoonDawg's Den

Thursday, February 15, 2007

VD at the VA

This week the Veterans Administration has been having its annual National Salute to Hospitalized Veterans, and as part of that program my state reserve unit went to the Atlanta VA Medical Center on Valentines Day yesterday to distribute thousands of hand-made Valentine cards that area elementary school students had made for the patients at the VA. It was hard not to choke up when a wheelchair-bound vet's eyes lit up when reading the scrawled messages of love and hope from the kids. It one of the most special Valentines Days that I've ever experienced.

Unfortunately I couldn't take a camera to the patients' rooms, but I did manage to get a pic with a couple of Atlanta Falcons cheerleaders, who were also there to hand out the cards (a volunteer experience can be rewarding in more ways than one!).

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Golly gee, such scathing criticism might actually upset me, if it didn't come from a cowardly puke who doesn't even have the guts to post their Blogger ID in comments.

    By Blogger Garry, At 4:19 PM, February 16, 2007  

  • Still posting anon, are we? Well, so sorry you took umbrage to the term "cowardly puke" - perhaps "cowardly troll" would have been a more appropriate appellation. But still pathetically gutless either way...

    By Blogger Garry, At 6:16 PM, February 16, 2007  

  • Garry,

    I do have to say that I read the title, saw the picture, and thought that VD stood for venereal disease. :) It did catch my interest though!

    It sounds like you did a great work on the day of love.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    By Blogger Jeff, At 11:36 PM, February 16, 2007  

  • LOL, Jeff - indeed I did hope that headline would be an attention grabber. Yes it was a great day, the patients were so happy to have us there - you can tell many of them don't often get visitors.

    But how disconcerting it was to learn that simply having my photo taken with a couple of cheerleaders makes me a "sexist" - who knew?

    By Blogger Garry, At 10:38 AM, February 17, 2007  

  • Why not have had your photo taken with anyone but women? Are you Gay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:34 AM, February 18, 2007  

  • Hey there, Anon.

    Dude, chill. Just cuz you don't agree with Garry's politics don't mean you can call him names. I think that you're the one who's mongering.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 11:30 PM, February 18, 2007  

  • Nosurf, name-calling is the only means of debate available to cretins like anon. It's funny though - first I was a sexist for having my photo taken with a couple of cute cheerleaders, but now he says it must mean that I'm gay - a sexist homosexual!

    I don't blame him for posting anonymously; if I was the author of such idiocies I'd want to conceal my identity too.

    By Blogger Garry, At 9:06 AM, February 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home