MoonDawg's Den: Bush is funnier than Colbert...go figure!

MoonDawg's Den

Monday, May 01, 2006

Bush is funnier than Colbert...go figure!

I have to post this here because I think that Garry might agree with me for once.

At the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, Bush did a hilarious sketch with a look-alike in which he light-heartedly criticized himself. He got a lot of laughs, and even got several from a cynical liberal--me.

After the President's sketch, the host of the evening, Stephen Colbert from Comedy Central did a monologue, a very biting monologue. I thought his jokes were fairly tasteless and that he didn't read his audience well at all. Once the President quit laughing, Colbert was out of line. It's not so much that he criticized the President--I believe that a little criticism is good. The problem is that he was supposed to be funny while taking good-natured shots at the President. He wasn't. He forgot the axom of comedians who speak at things like this--singe, don't burn. Colbert burned, and he stunk terribly.

Crooks and Liars has the video.

Cheers,
Jeff

1 Comments:

  • Yes I watched the whole thing on C-SPAN the other night, I was very disappointed in Colbert's performance - I didn't find his material all that objectionable, it's just that his timing and delivery were way off. I was surprised he bombed like that, because I love his show and usually he's hilarious.

    Of course Bush's act was a hard one to follow - having him get up at the podium with the Bush impersonator was a comedic masterstroke. Really a funny bit...which made Colbert's performance look that much worse by comparison.

    By Blogger Garry, At 11:22 AM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home