MoonDawg's Den: Why getting sunburned is more fun than election year politics...

MoonDawg's Den

Monday, October 02, 2006

Why getting sunburned is more fun than election year politics...

I spent the weekend boating around beautiful Lake Powell with my family. My sister was on a 10-day leave from the Army, and it was an opportunity for us to spend some time together before she departs to her unit in Texas. On Saturday, we went to the majestic Rainbow Bridge (seen in the picture and made far less beautiful with my mug in front of it). The day was wonderful, but I got an absolutely horrible sunburn (since my chest and back hadn't seen sun for 5 years or so, I wasn't too surprised).

Because of my sunburn, the last few days have been miserable, but I'm glad to report that the burn has made me less miserable than listening to election year spin spewing out of everyone's mouth at this time of year.

I'm absolutely sick at the political health of our country right now. I'm sick at the type of tactics that are being used by both sides. I'm sick of the lack of compromise that has infiltrated American politics. And, I pray that after the election, commonsense will again prevail, making our country--and the world--a much safer and better place to live.

Therefore, I've decided that I can't vote for an incumbent this year. I can't vote for someone who has been part of the political climate. The country needs change, and that will only happen if there are drastic changes in the make up of our governing body.

The two legislative races in Utah in which I could vote might hurt a little if I stick with my throw-all-the-bums-out mentality. Orrin Hatch is running for reelection. I had absolutely no intention of voting for him. I think he's a disgrace to the state of Utah. However, my congressman is Jim Mattheson, a moderate Democrat who is probably a Republican by national standards. He's a good man, who I honestly believe votes his conscience (which explains why his voting record is quite conservative). I might not agree with all of Rep. Mattheson's votes, but at least he's not hampered by fierce party loyalty. It will be hard for me to cast a vote against him, but I'm starting to feel that I must.

What is to become of our nation if we cannot agree on anything? Will the coasts have to secede from the union to be a safe haven for liberal thinkers? Will the heartland become the only place for conservatives to call home?

There has to be a middle ground. There has to be a system of checks and balances in the nation, where majority and minority rights are protected. And, there has to be a way to fix the absolutely ridiculous bickering that has taken over Washington.

Cheers,
Jeff

P.S.- Do I sound cynical? I thought so.

1 Comments:

  • Good to have you back Jeff, but bummer about the sunburn. Knowing what misery sunburns are, I can't imagine anyone preferring that to election year politics!

    Still, it's hard not to be cynical given the toxic nature of party politics at the national level nowadays. Some bloggers I have read who share our disgust plan to vote only in their local races, and leave the ballot blank for the US House and Senate contests. I haven't made up my own mind about what I'll do Nov. 8th, and probably won't till the last minute...

    By Blogger Garry, At 11:55 AM, October 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home