MoonDawg's Den: Happy B-day, MLK

MoonDawg's Den

Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy B-day, MLK

Today we honor the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and rightly so. Today people should remember that Dr. King was not merely an advocate of civil rights for black Americans but rather a champion of human rights for all people everywhere. His courage should also be remembered; he knew very well that his activities could get him killed but he pressed on, drawing from the deep well of his faith. After getting a frightening late-night death threat during the famous Montgomery bus boycott, King prayed to overcome his fears: "I could hear an inner voice saying to me, 'Martin Luther, stand up for righteousness. Stand up for justice. Stand up for truth. And lo I will be with you, even until the end of the world.'"

And King continued to stand up, right to the very end. If you've never heard his emotional "mountaintop" speech in Memphis in full, do yourself a favor and listen to it:

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

Dr. King was fatally shot the very next day, April 4th, 1968.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home